Re: [OM] E-1 preventative maintenance

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 preventative maintenance
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 09:27:18 -0500
Hey, glad it worked!  I looked up the E-1's manual and see that pixel
mapping is a menu item.  Canon makes no mention of it for the 5D but
WayneS mentioned this procedure for the 5D back in 2008
I believe one of the optimizations
in the 5D is to store hot pixel information for faster post processing.
I had a number of hot pixels and had to reset the map. The procedure
is to operate the Sensor Clean function with a lens attached and
lens cap on. Then power cycle the camera. This seems to have
eliminated the hot pixel problem I was experiencing with my 5D.
This is an undocumented procedure, but seems to work.
I wondered if PhotoShop has such a function but could find no mention of
such in regular PhotoShop documents.  But I discovered some forum
mentions that Camera Raw has been doing such from the beginning.  But
perhaps it only does that if the raw file contains bad pixel mapping
info.  Someone commented that hot pixels were visible in the raw file
preview but not in an enlarged view from a post-processed raw file.  The
explanation was that the preview file was a JPEG stored with the raw
file.  As a JPEG it had not been processed to fix the pixel problem
while the post-processed output from the raw file had been processed by
Camera Raw.

Anyhow, kudos to Oly for putting the function up front where you can see
it (even if it is inadequately described)  Look up pixel mapping or
remapping in Wiki and what you get is a description of video function
for mapping to the pixels of a particular display.  Totally different. :-)

Chuck Norcutt