[OM] E-M5 thoughts

Subject: [OM] E-M5 thoughts
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 23:08:34 -0600
So I sojourned to Fort Wayne today to handle an E-M5.  Also had a
pleasant lunch and discussion with Chris Crawford.

There are many things to like about the E-M5.  Also many things that
will take some getting used to, but there were also things about the E-1
that took some getting used to that are now second nature.

I also had limited time with it, and didn't have time to dig through all
the menus and explore all the functions.  The store employees were mixed
- the guy who helped me was a Nikon guy, but the store owner owns and
uses an E-M5 and raves about it.  He also has a nice assortment of
lenses and uses everything from a Contax to a Tokina lens in addition to
the Zuiko offerings.

The EVF will probably take the most getting used to, but I can also see
how it would be a big help in low light to make sure you're actually
going to get the shot that you think you are.  I do love the widescreen
TV on the back - compared to the tiny LCD on the E-1, it's like the 60"
Sony in my living room.

I do like the size - feels very much like an OM body in the hand.  I
would definitely get the battery grip, though.  I've always had a grip -
the winder on the OM2n, the motor drive on the OM4t, and the battery
grip on the E-1.  Like the extra capacity and the vertical shutter
release in addition to the extra lump to hang on to.

So, I think it's time to let go of some stuff, including the film bodies
and whatever else I can dig out of my basement and garage that is
ebayable and buy me a new camera.  I'll keep the E-1 as backup and a
secondary body.  Definitely going to get an MFT-FT adapter.  I will
probably keep my T-21 and T-45, though, and get remote triggers.  Of
course, that means I'll need to have the battery pack for the 45 rebuilt
(I haven't been able to find a Quantum-y thing for that flash).

Hmmmm......

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard