Re: [OM] PESO: sharpness is a bourgeois concept

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO: sharpness is a bourgeois concept
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:17:38 +1300
Nathan wrote

> I have sometimes used the above phrase in jest, but there really is
> something to it.
> (snip)
> Along the way, I photographed a small group of our visitors being led
> across Pla?a de Catalunya by Lynn, one of our employees:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/misc/20121030-L1008298.jpg.h
> tml

I agree. Sometimes I wonder if sharpness is something restricted to
photographers. Some fine art painters very often go to quite some effort to
avoid sharpness, remarking that they are not photographers. The call such a
painting style 'loose'.  And they get sales.  Therefore people agree with them
to sufficient extent that they will pay to hang the work on their house wall.

And the painting efforts of  painters who *do* paint detail are considered to
be *drawing* with their brushes. The so-called 'dry-brush' technique is used
for this in watercolour painting. I have yet to figure out whether or not
'drawing' in this context is a derogatory remark.

Regardless of the above, Nathan's image captures the essence of the
moment.

Brian Swale