[OM] Nathan's PAD 2/11/2012: Lars and Inger and ART

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 2/11/2012: Lars and Inger and ART
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 07:52:40 +0100
I am on my usual early November visit to Denmark, spending part of it in my
hometown Aarhus, visiting my best friend Lars. For yesterday, I give you a
massive 4-image PAD from the ARoS art museum (Aros was the original, Viking-era
name of Aarhus). We went there around 5 p.m. to see the massive Edvard Munch
exhibition there. At this time of year, it starts getting dark in Aarhus around
4-4:30.

Approaching the museum. I passed this spot every day on my way to school
between 1972 and 1976, but there was a much smaller building at the time. The
coloured thing on the roof is called Your Rainbow Panorama, by the Danish
artist Olafur Eliasson, opened in 2011:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2191908222&k=FsH9gGg&lb=1&s=O

Close-up of the Rainbow Panorama:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2191908315&k=78wfPhj&lb=1&s=O

View of Aarhus City Hall from the roof terrace of ARoS. The city hall was
finished in 1941 and is the town's most emblematic building, designed by Arne
Jacobsen:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2191908359&k=NVtcLhQ&lb=1&s=O

Finally, inside the Munch exhibition, Lars is looking at one of Munch's most
famous paintings, Inger ved stranden (Inger at the beach):
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=2191908449&k=bCJtmRS&lb=1&s=O

ARoS is a magnificent place. It is a modern art museum in the absolute top
global league, and this in a Danish town of 300.000 inhabitants. It is
justifiably a source of pride for the people of Aarhus--and for me.

More about ARoS: http://en.aros.dk/
More about Eliasson: http://www.olafureliasson.net/works.html

Cheers,
Nathan