Re: [OM] "CONDITION WHITE"

Subject: Re: [OM] "CONDITION WHITE"
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:22:20 -0700

> A rarely seen warning from our county school system.
>
>  I was scheduled to substitute teach at one of the elementary schools
tomorrow,
>  so I got this flagged alert from the schools... Condition White means
that NO ONE
>  should attempt to go any of the schools tomorrow. They are unsure about
Tues.
>  and Weds. but will let us know Monday p.m. Not too surprising when you
know
>  the county borders the Chesapeake Bay for our entire length.
>
>  Our house sits on high ground, so our main concern is wind...
>  and it's effect on our four acres of trees. Fingers remain crossed - I
really don't
>  want to rebuild that deck another time!
>
>  Hoping the power stays on,

    CBS evening news just had a big spread on this.  Forecasters are
predicting as much as two feet of snow in the Smoky Mountains of western
North Carolina, with the levels tapering off in northern Georgia and
possibly higher in West Virginia and the Shanandoahs.

    Near the storm centre, seas are at 40 feet, down to 25 feet within a 200
mile radius.

    The greatest initial concern is the storm surge, which will be six to
eleven feet from the DelMarVa penisula to Rhode Island, including Long
Island Sound.  Many small towns along the Jersey shore have been issued
mandatory evacuations, and so have the low-lying areas of lower Manhattan.
The storm surge by itself is reason for concern, but it just happens to
coincide with the high tide, which will occur close to midnight, about the
same time that the storm makes landfall Monday/Tuesday night.

Chris