Re: [OM] (OM) OT Food

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Food
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 15:58:59 -0400
I used to prepare meals for fund-raising dinners for Central America -
usually beans and rice.  I bought a rice cooker from a Chinese shop in
Charlotte that cooks 50 cups of rice.  Works great!!  I bought a smaller
one for myself and it also worked great, but now I have an AGA stove and
don't use any external appliciances that heat.  Those were all donated to
Goodwill.   I just put the rice, water, salt and butter in a pan and put it
in the simmer oven for 20 minutes - perfect every time.  Love my AGA!!

Tina

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/27/2012 8:52 AM, Ian Manners wrote:
> >> At Tubby Mansions we boil about 1.5l of water, and add about a cup of
> >> basmati (or a basmati/jasmine mix), bring it back to the boil, then
> >> reduce the heat to *very* low, and cook until the rice is starting to
> >> come out of the water, then drain & serve. The rice is very soft &
> >> fluffy. I'm sure we would be accused of some sort of sacrilege, but we
> >> think it's nice! :)
> > Push rice out of foil sachet into plastic container, microwave for 60
> seconds,
> > perfect.
> > Learn't that when I use to work at Primus in Melbourne :)
>
> Does no one else use a rice cooker? I bought a cheap Japanese one decades
> ago. Pour in rice, pour in 1/4 cup more water
> than rice, push button. When button pops up with a click and light goes
> out, it's done. Just the same every time.
>
> I happen to like it as instructed, but I gather one may vary the 1/4 cup
> of water for firmer/dryer - softer/fluffier.
>
> If this one ever stops working, I'll just get another.
>
> Simple Grain Moose
>
> --
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP