Re: [OM] Three images from a short journey to work: divided people

Subject: Re: [OM] Three images from a short journey to work: divided people
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:43:07 -0700
On 10/23/2012 8:08 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> These three images sum up my short journey to work this morning, and the
> incredible contrasts that exist in Johannesburg.
>
> http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/297/c/6/public_debate_by_philosomatographer-d5isuvr.jpg
>
> http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/297/2/2/luxury_drive_by_philosomatographer-d5isuod.jpg

These two are nicely done, but don't seem exceptional; the same things could be
seen in many US urban areas.

> http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/297/a/5/street_work_by_philosomatographer-d5isugu.jpg

This one really does look relatively third world to me. Where I live, nowhere
near that many people would be involved.
The trench would be dug by one man on a machine. The cable would be on a
spindle on a truck with an automated feeder
that put it in the trench, two, maybe three guys involved. Rough cover would be
a guy with a machine.

Paving stones would be hand work, so asphalt or concrete paving would be more
common. Concrete could be embossed to look
like stones. I've seen quite realistic looking 'brick' paving done that way.

Paved Over Moose