[OM] IMGs: A Pair of Butterflies

Subject: [OM] IMGs: A Pair of Butterflies
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 07:13:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I took my first hike of the season yesterday, making a preliminary
assessment of an area that was destroyed in a wildfire that was started by some
drunk kids firing incendiary 12ga rounds into dry forest litter.  Thanks to
them, a pristine chaparral riparian area was destroyed and I doubt that anyone
alive now will ever get to see it restored.

     While making this tour, I came into an open area that used to be forested
with Aligator Juniper and Sycamore.  Some late summer and early fall flowers
had attracted a number of butterflies, and I counted at least five species.
None of them would stay put for very long, probably in a feeding frenzy.  So,
out of almost three dozen photos only five were worth keeping.  One of these is
of a Queen (Danaus gilippus):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8076958412/in/photostream

     And then there was this Mystery Butterfly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8076965478/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8076965522/in/photostream

     The closest I can come to with my field guides is Theona Checkerspot
(Thessalia theona), which is exact except for the dark spots in the outermost
row of checkers.  Since we have a few butterfly enthusiasts here I was hoping
someone could properly identify it.

Chris