Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 39: start of autumn

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 39: start of autumn
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 07:26:00 +0200
Yes, it does, but life goes on. Also important to remember that even though
unemployment is a sky-high 25%, it does mean that 75% still have jobs as
before. Many of the unemployed are managing thanks to a combination of (rather
modest) benefits and help from family. One difference between Spain and the US
is that there is universal health insurance here, so at least that aspect of
life does not change if one loses one's job.

Having said all this, there are signs of the crisis even in the nice middle
class neighborhood where I live, especially the many closed businesses. Many
smaller shops selling non-necessities, and many bars and restaurants have gone
out of business in the past couple of years.

There have been rallies in the biggest cities, Madrid and Barcelona, which (in
a couple of cases) have included some violence, but not here in Alicante.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman