[OM] Darkroom Progress

Subject: [OM] Darkroom Progress
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 09:26:08 -0500
It's been a few weeks since I've given an update on the darkroom.

1. The walls and floor are painted
2. The work benches (tables) are installed

Major work to be completed:
1. Installation of sink
2. Construction of door and/or wall
3. Electrical
4. Ceiling
5. Getting the 4x5 enlarger from Michigan and building the "wall-mount" for it

As to the sink, I've been blessed with the sink/counter and cabinetry
from a nice hotel which is remodeling as part of a reflagging to
another brand. This sink/counter is from the "Breakfast area" and is
about six feet long. The sink may not be overly large, but it is a
squarish stainless steel one suitable for rinsing out coffee urns. So,
it should do nicely for me. Besides, when "free" is involved, I tend
to work with it. The only time I've ever had a true darkroom sink was
in college. Nice, but not necessary if I can control my room
temperature.

I'm having some second thoughts about the wall. I'm thinking that a
door would be better for two reasons. First of all, it gives me
another exit out of the darkroom, but secondly, it will allow the sink
to be useful for the laundry room. From a house resale perspective,
having the sink accessable to the laundry room and making the darkroom
not quite so purpose-built would be a good thing.

The primary darkroom space is 12 foot long, by 8 foot wide. Then it
extends another 15 feet with a width of 4 feet. Ceiling height is over
8 and a half feet right now, which gives me plenty of height to put in
a drop ceiling. The sink will go in the narrow portion, along with a
skinny table.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx