Re: [OM] TOP - DxO Gives OM-D High Marks

Subject: Re: [OM] TOP - DxO Gives OM-D High Marks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:00:30 -0400
On 9/27/2012 7:51 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> It has been my understanding that Dr. ISO is indeed a member of the
> Moose collective along with Dr. Noflash.

Not me, Dood!

Give the title to AG, he at least has much lengthier and more fully articulated
ideas on the matter than I.

I just find what EV settings work for me and go on taking pics.

> I should have attempted to be more concise with terms in this confusing
> area. Not only is the ISO concept fuzzy with dig snesors but the "cam
> ISO" used by it may differ from the dial setting---that is where CHDK
> comes in. The fuzzy is now even fuzzier.

What Ctein says is that it's always been fuzzy. I think he's right.

It's just the tendency, especially strong in technically oriented men, to want
to fully quantify things, that leads many
of us to try to 'unfuzz' it.

Hmmm. Perhaps that's a border marker along the range from artist to non-artist
photographer? The artist just tries
things until getting the desired effect, and may take notes or remember how
they got there. The technical photographer
strives to quantify all the variables to arrive at a generalizable solution
that will apply equally well for other
situations

> A live  3 channel raw histo  would render the ISO relatively moot
> except perhaps for flash.

A decent live histogram is certainly useful, but not a complete solution. They
don't (as Chuck has pointed out) really
show the clipping in small areas, so are not reliable ETTR indicators. How
useful they may be for the mid-tones shooter,
I don't know.

It would be nice to have an AE mode that adjusted for a selectable white point
clipping % of pixels, as when scanning
with VueScan. An interesting bracketing program would be one that does one shot
at the camera settings and another with
clipping control.

Exposed Moose