Re: [OM] Living with the EM-5

Subject: Re: [OM] Living with the EM-5
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:28:31 -0500
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:06 PM, Moose wrote:

> I've recently turned off Auto Off, as I would find the camera wasn't
> ready at inconvenient times. But that means using
> the power switch more often to save battery power. Maybe I can just
> ignore it and leave the camera on all the time,
> relying on Sleep Mode to save battery power, as I have done on the 5D and
> 60D

I had recalled that you did this and I began to do this same thing with
the 5D on the UP trip. But I had actually begun to do the same thing on
my E cameras too.  I don't find any actual practical difference between
the two marques in this regard.

> 6. Body memory is finally adjusting, most of the time, to the reverse
> direction of the zoom ring. The fly by wire focus
> direction is a menu setting, but the physical zooming action is reverse
> to the Canons.

Maybe that's why I don't like my made-for-Canaan zoom?

> 7. I tried putting AF on a button separate from the shutter half-press.
> But the physical layout of buttons just wasn't
> working for me the way it does on the 60D. I've now got AF on the shutter
> again, and the Fn2 button next the the shutter
> release set to switch between AF and MF, and that's working pretty well
> for me so far.

I have to have two different saved setups for my E bodies.  Sometimes I
need focus on the shutter button and sometimes I need it on the AEL/Fn
button.  If you want to lock focus and move the camera around to get
different exposure possibilities in AE mode, I love AF on the AEL
button.  But you cannot shoot children, sports, or puppies that way.

Carry on!

Joel W.