Re: [OM] Zen paradox camera lust

Subject: Re: [OM] Zen paradox camera lust
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:14:47 -0400
On 9/21/2012 4:05 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
> Whenever I think about the current camera situation, my brain goes into
> an endless loop.

This is the way in Samsara, Grasshopper.

> Now, I gotta tell you.  I did an informal shootout with a friend who has
> an Olympus OM-D EM-5, and I am *very* impressed with that little Oly. At
> ISO 200, using the Panny 20/1.7, the image quality is in the same
> ballpark as the M8 with 35/1.4 ASPH. I know that sounds like heresy, but
> that's what my eyes are telling me. At ISO 3200, the OM-D's IQ is not
> much less than the M8 at 640.  And it, too is a camera that checks most
> of my boxes. I put some Olympus OM and Leica lenses on it via adapters.
> Me like.  Image stabilization... gooooood.
>
> On the bad side, it's too tiny for my big paws, and the user interface
> is menu purgatory. Though it does have enough discrete controls to set
> it up to operate like a real camera.

One only needs to venture into the depths of the menus to set it up as one
wants it. The control panel that pops up (if
activated) when the OK button is pushed provides touch screen control of a wide
array of functions. I didn't think I
would like it, I suppose in part because it is a real indication that this
thing is a computer, but I've found it very
useful. MUCH faster and more intuitive than the menus for shooting adjustments.

For example, If I've just adjusted ISO, pressing the OK button twice gives me
an ISO adjustment band on the bottom. I
generally have ISO set to Auto, range 200-3200, but sometimes I want a fixed
value.

> But it isn't a rangefinder, it's a computer with Japanese Zen paradox soft
> buttons.

They are all computers.

> Still, it autofocuses fast, and a 20/1.7 plus 45/1.8 makes a small, sweet
> package with very good IQ.
>
> And now the Fuji X-Pro-1 got a firmware fix which might just merit a
> second look. And some of the work I've seen with the MM makes me lust
> for that.

Fortunately for me, I've never liked rangefinders. :-)

> I'm confused again.  I think I'll go practice my bassoon. At least it's
> paid for.

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a
knotted oak."

> (Am I making any sense at all?)

As much as any of us ever do, in this world of Illusion.

Elusive Moose