Re: [OM] 24" IMac Question - CPU FAn = 0rpm - expert advice ºwelcome

Subject: Re: [OM] 24" IMac Question - CPU FAn = 0rpm - expert advice ºwelcome
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:09:55 +0200
Hi Philippe and all,

A while ago I had a similar problem with a 2007 MacMini Core2Duo 2 GHz (2
GiB) -- it did shut down suddenly. Trying to fire it up immediately would
result in the maching shutting down again, almost at once. But if let
cooling for a few hours, it would stay on about 5 minutes before shutting
down again -- a reasonable symptom of overheating :-(

Once the old MacMini G4 was set as temporary replacement, I downloaded
smcFan Control (after a bit of research) and installed it in the Core2Duo
-- within the 5-minute limit ;-) At first, CPU fan speed was, like yours, 0
rpm -- the expected minimum should be 1500 rpm. I tried setting several
speeds to no avail; but one of the times I had set 5500 rpm (the maximum
value) I could hear the fan hesitating a bit and then spinning at full
blast! I let it that way for a few hours, and everything went OK since then.

With smcFan Control I can set the *minimum* fan speed, from 1500 to 5500
rpm. Up to 2400 is nearly silent (and rarely goes beyond that) but for
heavy load periods I prefer to set it at 4000 rpm.

Apparently, the maximum temperature before protective shutoff is around 85
ºC... with the standard settings it can get up to 77 ºC or so, without any
other issues. I usually increase the minimum speed (typically at 4000 rpm)
in order to keep it below 55-60 ºC at (near) full load. At full blast, it
goes around 40-50 ºC.

This happened in June 2011, and it was _hot_ here then ;-)

Hope this helps,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)