Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/9/2012: John Muir Woods

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/9/2012: John Muir Woods
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:21:45 -0400
We've been traveling too, and busy, so I've had little time to comment on your
images of my home turf.

I like the first two images, not for artistic qualities, but because they are
so typical that I would never think take
them. Something to keep in mind when I'm out and about near home.

I cant resist a little correction. It's simply Muir Woods. As with several
features of Marin county, only the famous
man's last name is part of the place name.

And yes the redwoods there are nice, but not particularly large as redwoods go.
Darned impressive, and convenient to SF,
but just middling sized. Those up on the farther north coast are considerably
larger.

As you say, they are just about impossible to photograph so as to show true
scale and the whole tree(s).In a recent
year, National Geographic made a special project of photographing a really big
one and printed it in a long, skinny
fold-out. It's the only photograph I've ever seen that captures the whole
thing.
<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/redwoods/gatefold-image>

On 9/10/2012 5:48 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Yesterday was our final day in California. I am posting this from
> Philadelphia airport, where we will board our flight to Madrid in about 15
> minutes. We used yesterday morning to drive up to John Muir Woods. Because it
> is the last day, I give you five pictures this time.

> And thus ended our fantastic two weeks in Northern California, a place to
> which we will surely return.

Do indeed! Maybe we can meet for a beer, maybe even with a sandwich, next time.

Not At Home Moose