Re: [OM] UP Zuikofest - Monogamously Monochrome or not

Subject: Re: [OM] UP Zuikofest - Monogamously Monochrome or not
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:58:23 -0500
Joel (I've never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs) Wilcox
wrote:
> Ken seems to think my OM-5D weighs 75 pounds.  I'm taking it and some
> Zuikos plus adapters.  Two OM bodies with four rolls of BW film --
> probably use the OM-2N as my main body for 35mm.  The OM-5D will handle
> all color chores.  Will take E-620 with my 4 E-system lenses, basically
> to back up the OM-5D.  Maybe that's where Ken sees the extra weight
> coming in.

Looks pretty close to 75 pounds to me. OK, probably 15-20 pounds. That does
take an extra bag or two and those aren't light. So, let's round up to 25.
I exaggerated a little bit. Not 75 pounds. 25 instead. But wait! computer,
hard drives, memory cards, power supplies for charging batteries, extra
batteries, cables and power inverter. That digital kit just got heavier.
We'll split the different and call it 50. :)

> But basically I'm not intent on shooting 35mm BW, and I don't see the
> point (for me) of shooting 35mm color.

I went through this in my own mind. Now granted, I don't have a Canon 5D,
but I do have other digital cameras which I've used for the color work in
parallel to the B&W film work. I was actually pretty weak kneed in this
regard. But decided to limit myself to film-only because the cameras are
identical and there is no temptation to drag along parallel kits of lenses.
However, I knew that you'd be bringing some nice E-glass, so that was a
consideration. In the end, I figured that a second body that is identically
configured, takes up less space and weight.

> The big weight is in the Mamiya RB67.  M-S 50/4.5, 90/3.8, 180/4.5, and
> 250/4.5 lenses, plus filters, prism finder, and 4 backs (2X 120, 1x 220
> loaded with Portra, 1x Graflex 6x6).  Single Velbon CF tripod.

My guess of 50 pounds of film gear isn't off at all.

> So I think Ken and I will be pretty compatible and happy with similar
> subject-matter.

Always. However, with a twist. I'm just competitive (or insecure) enough
that when I see your results, I think that mine suck pretty bad. It's not
that my compositions are necessarily garbage, but yours tend to have that
intangible something extra. By making sure that my kit doesn't match yours,
we'll be sure to shoot entirely differently. Therefore, my images will be
so different than yours that they won't suck quite so bad.

It's actually quite intriguing and instructional. I'll see a composition or
subject that simply rocks. A portfolio-grade image. So while I'm on that, I
question why Joel just wanders past it without giving it a second glance.
Instead, he's over a few feet away photographing something boring. Later
on, as we post images from the trip on-line for others to see that we see
each other's photographs. I'm wondering where in the world he got THAT shot
and he's wondering where I got mine. This was a point of slight irritation
to me the first couple times we shot together, but now I understand that
he's just sandbagging us and he substituted a picture from another trip. ;)

The first time we shot digital together in the U.P. we were at the
Porcupine Mountains, and shooting along the Presque Isle River. I got an
amazing shot, but saw that Joel managed to wander farther upstream. In my
feeble attempt to keep pace with him, I tried following up along the narrow
ledge. That's when I dislodged half a mountainside onto my brand new E-1.
That's when I got my epiphany to let Joel have his own shots. (By
obliterating the trail with fallen rocks, I almost stranded him).

I will admit that I'm trying to recapture the experience of photographing
with Joel in the U.P. prior to digital. We both had OM kits. He had some
amazing glass, but I had the 35/shift. Between the two of us, we
contributed to record profits for Fujifilm that year. But I've recognized
that throughout this entire adventure with digital photography, I've lost
something along the way. Just maybe I will rediscover it again. I doubt
that it has anything specific to do with the OM system, but I'm hoping that
the OM system will be the catalyst for finding what it is so I can apply it
to digital.

> I'm getting ants in my pants.

Separate tents.

--