[OM] UP Zuikofest - Monogamously Monochrome or not

Subject: [OM] UP Zuikofest - Monogamously Monochrome or not
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 09:46:15 -0500
Monogamously Monochrome? Well, not quite.

I figure that if all I took was B&W film, then the colors would end up
being epic. So, there will be some color film to satisfy any needs in
that regard. However, there is a little hint in this sentence.

Yup. Film only for me. Not only is it film only, but OM only. The only
digital camera I'm taking is the one built into the cellphone. That's
it. Joel, on the other hand, will probably be bringing no less than 75
pounds of digital gear and another 50 pounds of film gear. I'll just
be bringing the 50 pounds of film gear. Not including the tripods, of
course.

I had an extensive chat with my CPO (Chief Planning Officer) and she
agreed with my reasoning. It's been her that has dissuaded me from
attempting this over the past several years. But she agreed based on
the following factoids:

1. She knows I can lock up with indecision if I'm confronted with too
many choices. (likely excuse).
2. She knows my digital gear is rather old and not up to current
"standards". (wink wink).
3. She knows I tend to haul WAY too much stuff with me. (I'm a
"hoarder" when it comes to bringing camera gear).
4. New darkroom needs new images to be processed. (justification).
5. It's only a week and I already have 10 zillion images from that
area, so a total screw-up is a non-issue. (the truth).

Now comes the fun part. Thinning the OM herd down to a manageable
level. There was a day and age when all I had was the OM-2S with
24/2.8, 50/3.5, 100/2.8 and 200/4. Now, the kit is a bit more
extensive. Of course, I could just pack two bags. The one I carry with
me away from the vehicle and the other stuffed with everything else to
choose from. Kinda an equipment-locker perspective. (See point 3,
above). I think I can make it with two bags...

I know that I've been "saying" all along that this was going to be an
OM-only trip, but that was mostly me trying to convince myself to
actually pull it off. Now my wife is behind this and will make sure
that I hold to it.

AG (shakes) Schnozz

--
Ken Norton