Re: [OM] was Re: Godspeed, Neil Armstrong; now ancient calculators

Subject: Re: [OM] was Re: Godspeed, Neil Armstrong; now ancient calculators
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:21:50 +1200
In the mid - late 1950's I worked part time in a section of the NZ Forest
Service which managed large sales of standing timber (trees).

We had to calculate tree / forest volumes based on samples, and such
things as the profitability of the sawmills.

We used an ?? Ohdner  Swedish calculator with a handle on the right and
levers in slots to set the values of digits, tens etc. Very fast once you knew
how to use it.
We had just "one" in an office of 5, so the competition to have possession
was great. Haven't seen one for years - the last time in a museum.

Brian Swale