[OM] Bristol Balloon Fiesta.

Subject: [OM] Bristol Balloon Fiesta.
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:48:01 +0100
It was last weekend, and the weather was pretty good until Sunday.  On
Thursday evening, I opted to park myself on the hillside opposite the
launch site and watch the mass ascent.  In addition to the E-3, 50-200 and
14-54, I also took one of my Minolta A1s and an intervalometer to record a
time-lapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUmHy3wwAY&feature=plcp

One of them seemed to be determined to catch a sequence of air currents
which kept the balloon close to the launch site, and ended up doing a very
gentle landing in the next field from me.  Thought he might end up in the
reservoir for a while there.

On Friday morning, I awoke at 5 am for some reason and couldn't get back to
sleep, so went to see the morning ascent instead.  Took the same kit with
me and did another time lapse.  More still photos that time, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx7uZyMeE8k&feature=plcp

Then I went back on Friday evening, and parked myself up the hill from the
launch site.  Met office said the wind was heading that way, but that means
very little in the real world, and they actually took off and went roughly
parallel to the hillside instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcQQ4qa6lCI&feature=plcp

Saturday I was otherwise engaged, and on Sunday the weather was much
windier and rain showers were forecast.  It turns out they still launched
and the wind took them right past my flat.  Didn't snap any pictures
though.  Wouldn't want to broadcast the state of my windows to the world ;)

Still photos of all 3 ascents in my picasa gallery, including a Friday bee
getting stuck-in (never thought of the 50-200 as a macro lens) and some
nice crepuscular rays.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103946165422859151776/BristolBalloonFiesta2012

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer