Re: [OM] Home Sweet Home, Ad nauseam

Subject: Re: [OM] Home Sweet Home, Ad nauseam
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:19:48 -0500
> May be nothing more than 2x6 vs 2x4 framing and with thicker insulation
> to fit.

That could be. It is unusual around here, though. This thick wall
construction is more normal farther north, but not down by Missouri.
Whatever it is inside the walls, it does make for a very quiet house.

It's the voids that have me really puzzled. I've found several that
don't appear to be serving any useful purpose. One, which did happen
to have an access panel revealed a metal duct going to who knows
where. One of these does show on the blueprints with no explanation.
It may have to do with a heat-exchanger on the chimney and the
insulated garage.

This small subdivision has no outlet. Just a single street ending at a
T-intersection. Two call-do-sacks* are off the intersection. We're
right on the corner. Now that the bushes are gone, the backyard is
feeling a little naked. Need to plant bushes, I guess. There are a
bunch of evergreens back at the boundary with the neighbor, though, so
plenty of privacy in that regard. There is another house back behind.
Instead of another street behind ours, somebody bought that entire
block and put one house on it. One. It's a rather big house. The yard
is landscaped as a prairie. Rough neighborhood.

AG

*Yes, I do know how to spell it correctly.