Re: [OM] Image: Farm near Harmony, MN

Subject: Re: [OM] Image: Farm near Harmony, MN
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 23:03:34 -0500
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 05:12 PM, Moose wrote:
> On 8/8/2012 11:48 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> > Gasp!  Trying some landscape with BW:
> >
> > http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox
> >
> > Shot on UltraFine Plus, developed in HC-110/dilution H for 14 minutes,
> > scanned in Vuescan, Photoshopped in Photoshop!
>
> I like the composition. I wouldn't crop it, as others have suggested, if
> only because I like the clouds on the left.

I got off an alternative with the M-S 180/4.5 that is an "in-camera"
crop.  It just eliminates the clouds altogether.  It's OK, but I was
drawn to the clouds and hoped to make them work somehow.

> Well, no, it's also something about the sweep of country that would be
> lost. Still a nice image, but different, more
> closed in.
>
> I'd probably lift the shadows and lower mid tones a little, below the
> sky.

You are probably assuming that I didn't do both those things?  In any
case, not as much as you'd have done, obviously.  I used a medium red
filter, which has the effect of darkening the foliage, but really it was
already quite dark in the shadows.  Not enough "there" there.  I am also
a slave to my memory of what I saw, but I will see if I can get more
detail in the trees.  I think I am pretty well satisfied with the sky.

> A couple of things slightly bugged the ol' Eagle Eye, probably only to do
> with the web image.
>
> The grain in the sky has done something slightly odd with the clouds. I'm
> not sure I dislike the effect, but it does
> look unnatural to me.
>
> There's something funny going on, edges/texture/?? in the area below the
> barn, right up to the dark brush - that
> probably only I can see. :-)

I think the web image is a bit over-sharpened.  I let Focus Magic
sharpen a pixel's worth.  Might that explain it?  Another possibility is
that I used a setting in Vuescan to make a 3-pixel average, which has
the effect of reducing the scan to 1/3 of the size it would be
otherwise.  It also produces an inherently sharper scan from the get-go.
 Some of the time, FM is just too aggressive with web files (for my
taste anyway).

Thanks very much for your comments, Moose.

Joel W.

                          love email again