Re: [OM] [OT] Welsh Holiday Picture(s)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Welsh Holiday Picture(s)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:54:05 -0500
Many of the images could stand a little bit of increased exposure. My
guess is that you were editing these on a laptop screen without using
a reference image to make sure that you had the screen angle set
correctly.

Now that I got that out of the way...

There is something that jumped right out at me. I've seen in it a few
other X-Pro1 images, but wasn't really thinking about it. With this
entire set of images (I paged through them all), it became very clear
to me. The images, with your LR4 processing, look just like the
original Fujichrome RDP 100 film stock processed in Fuji-Hunt
chemistry.

Many of us used to shoot the snot out of that film, and I've been
doing some scanning of it lately. RDP II (Provia) replaced it and even
though Provia was a better film in almost every regard, there was just
something about the original F100 that nothing else could match. I
used to buy F50 and F100 by the brick and would age them until they
ripened up to a certain point then would freeze the stock until usage.
F50/100 were considered "consumer films" so they didn't need to be
kept frozen like the pro stuff was which was kept in storage until the
perfect ripening point had been reached, then they froze it. We could
do the same with the consumer films, but they had additional
stabilizers in the emulsion which kept the image more stable longer.

Honestly, I thought I would never see that F100 look again. Provia
softened the grain, amped up the colors and had other improvements,
but F100 was an awesome film and could be pushed to 200 to make the
colors pop. For that overcast light, I consider F100 to be among the
best films ever. The X-Pro1 matched it.

AG

--
Ken Norton