[OM] (OM) Digi experience

Subject: [OM] (OM) Digi experience
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:50:34 +1200
I had need to travel 500 km to see my son on a visit half way around the
world from London ...  So I went to a bricks and mortar shop ( what's left of
it
after earthquakes) to lay my hands on the new OM digi 5.

It was in a *small* showroom  with a non-zoom  (around 35mm) lens on it.

First impressions after/during 15-20 minutes ....

Black body - chrome-bodied lens
It's small. Like a cross between an OM 2000 with in-built grips and an OM1
Difficult to hold well with my long fingers. I'd need an old-fashioned grip -
the
reason I have winders permanently on my OMs

Didn't much like the EVF. Colours seemed off, and too-small image. Poor
detail as far as I could see.

It's light.
Screen at the back is huge. Not much space on the right for rear controls,
and in this respect it is like the E-510 where the right thumb was always
accidentally interfering with the FN button and causing operator chaos. Little
space for the RHS thumb.- that made me nervous.
Afterwards I wondered if the rear screen could be rotated as with the E-3 to
place a hard plastic back to the world (thus protecting the screen from
scratches while the camera is in in storage).
I didn't have a chance to use it outside the shop, hence I had no opportunity
to find aspects of use I liked.

I think the small size would be a real challenge for me . I like the idea of a
small camera for inconspicuously taking street photos of people, and the
like.  But the fact is I don't actually do that kind of photography, so I need
camera that is good for hand-holding,  tripod use, and with big lenses when
needed. And manual focussing.

I'd also need to get a whole new series of lenses :-(

So for me, the jury is still out. I will watch with interest how other people
manage them.

Brian Swale