Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Snaps

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Snaps
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:50:11 -0500
Hi Chris,

I'm not so sure about the color.  It has worked since 1937 for the Piper J-3
Cub.  It sure caught my eye on the ramp.

As to the vortex generators, I have seen a lot of different installations.
These are on a Beech Baron twin, and, not only spanned the wing from the
nacelle to the tip, but were also installed between the nacelle and the side
of the fuselage, though not in pairs in this case.  The latter installation
was what surprised me.  I must assume it was done to increase the flap
effectiveness.  Normally, I see them used to energize the flow over ailerons
and the tail surfaces.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA