Re: [OM] (OT) American Flags and Geraniums

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) American Flags and Geraniums
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:10:36 -0400
I don't think the American flag means military or weapons to most
Americans.  It is a sign of pride in our country.  The USA is the world's
most charitable nation, giving more to help those in need than any other
country.  There are reasons to be proud to be American.

Tina

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just looked at Chris's remarkable couple of Flags shots. Great shots
> in
> his style.
>
> And it reminded me that the topic of Flags is one of the great differences
> between the USA and maybe anywhere else in the world. Certainly where I
> live.
>
> In these pages we have often discussed points of difference between the
> USA and elsewhere on the usage and meaning of words in the english
> language. But not flags.
>
> I'm probably walking on thin ice here, but I (possibly) just don't "get"
> the USA
> obsession with flag. In my country you might go a whole year without seeing
> the national flag anywhere. In war years (The 1940's) it used to be flown
> at
> schools, and these days at the scarce military places, but that's nearly
> about
> it.
> The photos we have seen on this list of whole fields of the USA flag are
> unique, and I kind of wonder why.
> I have a suspicion it has something to do with the fact the the USA spends
> something like 50% of the Federal budget on military, and that it is by
> far the
> largest exporter of weaponry in the world ... but I don't know.
> Interesting.
> Or not, as the case may be.
>
> I have saved some graphics that illustrate the data.
>
> Brian Swale
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com