Re: [OM] I'm back (in digital, kinda...)

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm back (in digital, kinda...)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:19:36 +0200
My apologies, Brian!

This is their top-tier, no-holds-barred, size-and-weight-is-no-object
lens range. These typically also feature, not just normal weather
sealing, but amazing weather sealing. There is a lunatic on Flickr that
shoots *underwater* photography with an Olympus E-3 and a (SHG) 7-14mm
lens *without* an underwater case, he just plonks the whole camera 30cm+
underwater for seconds at a time. It's built THAT well (I would never go
that far though).

The SHG range consist almost entirely of zoom lenses, but they really do
put almost any other lens (fixed or zoom) in the same range to shame.

The range consists of: 7-14mm f/4.0, 14-35mm f/2.0, 35-100mm f/2.0,
90-250mm f/2.8, and two fixed-focal lenses, the 150/2.0 and 300/2.8.
These lenses mean business, and they appear to have a most remarkable
combination of brutal resolution, but gentle, accurate colours and
contrast. The total opposite of "crunchy" rendering, if you know what I
mean. Something Olympus - as an optical company - can certainly be proud
of.

Well, it's an almost-dead system, but, as somebody who cares much more
about the lenses than the cameras, it's extremely interesting. The DOF
control is not as good as on larger formats, but the f/2.0 zooms (unique
in all the world of still cameras) do partly make up for this - and not
even Moose can fault the smooth out-of-focus rendering of these lenses.

We'll see, but it's something different for me. I do actually still
*hate* DSLR cameras, but I do love nice lenses.

cheerio,
Dawid