[OM] OT: Weekend Weather Activity

Subject: [OM] OT: Weekend Weather Activity
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 18:30:54 -0700
    Shortly after last weekend's storms in the Mid-Atlantic states had
subsided, I took a detailed look at what to expect for the coming week and
saw that there was a good potential for similar activity to take place this
weekend.  I just finished watching the ABC evening news, and their weather
analyst echoed what I had said earlier about the Mid-Atlantic, and she
predicted that the most severe weather will take place Sunday afternoon into
evening, primarily in Virginia and North Carolina.

    The NAM 18 charts show that things will be a bit more severe than I
initially anticipated.  The high that is keeping most of us hot and
uncomfortable will push the jet stream initially into SW Canada late
Saturday night.  The centre of the high will move westward, ending up over
Utah late Sunday.  This will push the jet stream into the southern Northwest
Territories late Monday.

    In the meantime, a large regional low will develop and strength over
eastern Quebec and Labrador, causing the path of the jetstream to bend
sharply southeast.  This cold air will interact with warm moist air over the
Eastern Seaboard, and the storm activity may well extend at least into
Tuesday.

    Y'all watch out.

Chris