Re: [OM] Wondering what the M-Monochrom is like?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wondering what the M-Monochrom is like?
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:56:22 -0400
We have lots of black snakes on the farm.  One got into the chicken house
and ate the ceramic eggs I have in there to encourage the chickens to lay
in the nest boxes:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/114007408

Here is a bigger one (my husband is 6'4"):

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/136525195

We let them both go in the pasture but I'm sure the egg-eating one died a
miserable death.

Tina

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They are incredibly shy, hard to sneak up on, and wear bib overalls.
> Aside from harmless garter snakes, brown snakes appear on one day in
> spring and re-appear in fall.  I rousted out a huge black snake last
> summer in Kentucky and a timber rattler, but I've never come across one
> in Iowa in all my years of crawling around in places I shouldn't be.
> This is friendliest place you ever saw, nature-wise.
>
> The young-ling brown snakes are cute as puppies.  They'll rise up like a
> cobra and make to strike you, but there's nothing there.  The adults
> just flee for their lives.
>
> Joel W.
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012, at 08:44 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> > I've never previously investigated what type of venomous snakes are in
> > Iowa.  It seems you have Copperheads and 4 species of rattler (Florida
> > only has 3 species).  But the range maps say they're located near the
> > western and eastern borders and timber rattlers in maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of
> > the southern part of the state.  Doesn't look like there's much to worry
> > about in central Iowa but it's probably wise not to walk around in waist
> > high grass in shorts and sandals.  :-)
> >
> > Chuck Norcutt
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service