Re: [OM] IMG: Morning Coffee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Morning Coffee
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:12:47 -0400
Thanks, Moose.  Maybe that's my problem.  I don't really know what my
images are.  I think you are right that I do elicit a response from the
people I photograph but I always preferred to think of myself as being
invisible after I have stayed with a family for a week or so - a notion I
probably need to revise.  That would totally turn around what I consider
documentary work.

I'll have to think about it.

This is a great group for making you think!

Tina

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/28/2012 7:46 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > PESO:
> >
> > Here is another from my stay with the Monueles family.  Does Oscar
> peeking
> > at me detract from the photo?
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/144381856
> >
> > I am paying attention to all of your comments and editing everything
> > according to suggestions.
>
> You've asked much the same question several times. I think you wold be
> well served by deciding what your images are, and
> sticking to that.
>
> If you see them as documentary, and think that shouldn't include explicit
> subject acknowledgement of photographer, you
> should leave all of those out.
>
> My personal opinion is that one of your strengths as a photographer is in
> the responses you elicit from your subjects.
> 'Twere me, I'd modify my definition, even lean more toward those with
> responsive subjects.
>
> Until Heisenberg, physicists liked to think that they could remain
> objective, observe and measure without affecting. It
> isn't true of atomic particles, and certainly not true with people.
>
> Ethnologists used to pretend the same thing. As any sensible person could
> have told them, that didn't work either. I'd
> give up any such pretense as a photographer, too, if it were me.
>
> Nobody but those playing at scientist want's to look at a bunch of
> dispassionate recordings of everyday life. Your real
> audience loves the humanity you elicit in your subjects. Been to those
> dioramas of Indian life in a village? Dead. Your
> photographs aren't.
>
> Werner H. Moose
>
> --
>

> --