[OM] Tina's Kodachrome scans

Subject: [OM] Tina's Kodachrome scans
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:48:36 -0700
Tina sent me Silverfast output for three of her KR slides, so I could see if I
could make sense of what's happening.

I've done some testing, and believe the problem is at least partially clear.

Let me be clear, there is absolutely NO Moosification in these samples.

I may play with that later, but what I'm trying to find here is a standardized
process for her monster scan project that
will yield decent looking scans for all the slides in a purely batch process.

Not all done, by any means, but I think I've made a lot of progress. As Chuck
concluded, the scans Tina is getting out
of SF are "Raw", linear images, and thus very, very dark.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/First_Photo.htm>

The second sample is using VueScan to 'scan from file', using VS's Kodachrome
K14 setting. Still quite dark, but better.

The Third sample is also VS output, with Black Point, Brightness and Curve
adjusted. I did nothing in PS but downsize
for the web, not even post resize sharpening. Here are the VS settings used.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Test_6_settings.jpg>

Now you all can stop making yourselves crazy commenting on improperly processed
images. :-)

I'm awaiting Tina's comments on what I've done, especially compared to the
slides, and any comments from the rest of you.

A couple more samples coming up.

Scanning Fool Moose