[OM] film scanners (and Faviana and Reymundo]

Subject: [OM] film scanners (and Faviana and Reymundo]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
Profiling Moose writes:
>I assume SF's approach to scanning neg film is based on the same
philosophy,
>in those films should be preserved in the scanning process. Then it
makes sense
>that they would not do ICC profiling,
>and that their Negafix process would only correct for film base color
and
>scanner light.

Seems Moose's interpretation of the SF comments  were spot on:  SF
writes to my inquiry:

"we can only create Negafix profiles, which are combined scanner/film
profiles, on emulsions our
supplier prints targets on. So unfortunately we do not have a Portra
160 target.

But you could take a profile from the old Portra emulsion and adjust it
manually, save it
(in the Ai Studio version) and build up your own personal profile
library.

Vuescan lets the user himself photograph an IT8 target and then measure
out the color fields on
it. I did never try that but can imagine, that this kills the character
of the material because it is
a really hard profiling (again: not really sure about this).
Additionally the developing process and
the exposure value of the film would have a really big influence on
this as well.

Our NegaFix profiles are made out of three targets (-1, +-0, +1 exp)
and a powerful mathematic algorithm which keeps the typically film
effects of the emulsion. There is also a color cast removal inside of
Negafix which can be switched on or off for creative photography that
sometimes really likes to keep color shifts through the choice of film,
filters or cross developing.

Maybe you give our demo version a try and have a look at the NegaFix
dialogue especially.
When getting your demo serial, choose the Ai Studio version to get all
expert adjustment
possibilities enabled."

So one can toggle on or off the "color cast" switch in SF to enable a
"hard profile." I trust that fixes contrast as well--I recall Moose's
Porta 160NC profile really beefed up one of my macro shots with that
film.   I usually don't use it for that , but profiled, it is fine.
Problem is one has to rely on SF to provide the profiles and they
don't have them all.
At least it is now clear what is going on.

SF needs to fix the Negafix,  Mike