Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:18:16 -0700
On 6/18/2012 12:24 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> It has occurred to me that I don't really have to have batch processing for
> a super-duper scanner.  I could use the Nikon for batch scanning, edit in
> LR, and pick out one or two out of every thousand or so to do the
> super-duper scan on!  If you find a super-duper scanner, I would be
> interested.

I've been wondering about the larger aspects of this project, stepping back to
see the forest, so to speak.

If these were my images, and thus this were this my project, I'd ask myself
several questions.

Is there really any value to having scans of every one of these images? I have
a hard time imagining what practical
things I could do with 500,000 scanned images. Even if stock values were to
come back, that's simply too many to index
in useful detail, too many for a client to go through.

Do I want to spend a significant part of the remainder of my life editing half
a million images? Is this more or less
enjoyable, more of less good for my health, than other things I could be doing?
If not, how much actual commercial value
would I be creating?

If I am interested in posterity, do I want to leave an indigestible mass of
images, or a carefully selected, still quite
large, selection of my best images?

I suspect my answer would be that I would prefer to find a way of going through
the slides and selecting out those worth
the time, effort and expense of preserving in digital form. I'd keep all of the
originals in a safe way. Maybe I'll end
up well enough known that some future grad student will scan them all for a
dissertation. :-)

I'd be looking for a viewer that will allow me to go through my slides fairly
rapidly, sorting into scan and hold
groups. If it works out on the porch with a beverage and fowl antics to break
the monotony, so much the better. ;-)

The whole project then becomes much more manageable, and the results actually
more usable and possibly more valuable. If
I manage the whole thing before I go senile, die or lose interest - and I
haven't worn out the available supply of
scanners, I could repeat the process with the rest of the slides.

Forester Moose