[OM] Miscellaneous Junk Mail

Subject: [OM] Miscellaneous Junk Mail
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:11:26 -0500
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
A friend who, like me, participates in both the LUG and OM lists, notified me
this morning that he received a commercial mailing from The Netherlands which
showed me as the sender.

I can picture several scenarios.  Since both his name and mine probably show up
in the contact files of dozens of list members, the source listing could have
been harvested from any of us.  The routine could just use address "A" to send
their material to address "B".  Or, if my address book has been harvested, they
could use my address as sender, and send their message material to everyone in
my address book.  I have no way of knowing what the scheme is, or where it
originated.

If other list members are receiving unwanted email using my name or address as
the sender, please let me know.  It might help me understand what is taking
place.

Thanks,

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA