Re: [OM] Sheep Farm #13

Subject: Re: [OM] Sheep Farm #13
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 02:39:49 -0400
Thanks Chris,

Yeah, on farms they usually provided power for a water pump that drew from
a well. American farmers still called them windmills, though they
technically are not windmills, since they do not drive millstones.

These types of wind-powered water pumps are actually still manufactured in
the USA and are still commonly used in the western states, where surface
water is scarce and ranchers allow cattle to roam over large landholdings.
These windmills pump water into water tubs that the animals can drink
from, which are scattered across the ranch. There's so much wind out west
that the rancher doesn't have to bother with watering his cattle. Farmers
who raise animals in Indiana just water them every day with water pumped
up with electric pumps, since the livestock here is kept in smaller fields
near the farmhouse.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography