[OM] Transit of Venus

Subject: [OM] Transit of Venus
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 06:55:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Yesterday afternoon and evening were spent observing the transit of Venus.
 None of us will ever have this opportunity in our lifetime, unless my goal of
immortality proves successful (so far, it's working).

     I had earlier made a solar projection screen to fit on a smallish Tasco
60x600 telescope with a zoom eyepiece:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7344944140/in/photostream

I used it earlier to observe the recent solar eclipse, and occasionally use it
to observe sunspots, though the angular resolution of a refractor of this size
limits those observations to the larger sunspots.

     This is a typical photo of the transit of Venus, taken at 2130Z:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7344944152/in/photostream/

I took a few without any filtering, and more using a Wratten #15 deep yellow
filter to highlight the sunspots.

Chris