Re: [OM] Honestly, I haven't enjoyed Photography this much in a long tim

Subject: Re: [OM] Honestly, I haven't enjoyed Photography this much in a long time
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 09:56:14 -0500
> Waiting for your pictures :p

Me too... Me too...

It all has to wait for the moment, though. I'm not going to delay the
satisfaction until the new darkroom is occupied--which will be one of
the top priorities for the new digs.

So, I was sitting here at work. 5PM rolled around and I was staring
out the window noticing the blue sky and puffy clouds. Hmm.... OK, I
can come back to work later to finish up what I was working on.

The camera bag this week contains the silver OM-4T with MD2, a 50/1.4,
24/2.8 and 100/2.8, a set of B&W filters and a polarizer. Oh, and a
lens hood and cleaning tissue. Can't forget the cleaning tissue. A
monopod rounded out the kit.

First I headed to the north-east corner of town where there is some
new industrial mingling in with the agriculture. I'm always a sucker
for photographing rows of wind-turbine blades, railroads and so forth.
I got a few shots that looked pretty good in the viewfinder but then
heard the blast of a distant train whistle. Ah! The westbound coming
into the intermodal yard. I'm only a mile from a particular crossing
of interest, so I boogie over there to get some shots. I wait, but no
train. Hmm. Go investigate. They stopped a half-mile up the track at
another crossing to do a crew change or something. Finally they
started moving again and I set back up at my crossing of choice. The
track curves to the crossing and proceedes to split apart into three
tracks right there. The sun was coming in from my left side, so with
the polarizer and Red 25 filter, the tracks, train engine, sky and
clouds were pretty dramatic. Then I had to wait for quite a while as
the slow moving and long train pulled into the yard. As usual, those
guys have to blast the whistle the moment you press the shutter
release. Hmm. Maybe it was because I was standing in the middle of the
track or something.

While waiting I noted that the wind turbines to the north were
standing out quite well from the sky. So, I headed several miles to
the north and got various turbine shots with the sky and clouds. When
the sun was shining on them they were pretty stark against the sky.
Some pretty cool designs, actually. After a while I finally exhausted
all my B&W film so it was time to wrap it up. I had plenty of color
film in the box, but I really wasn't interested. My mind's eye was
seeing in B&W and color just wasn't cutting it.

OK, OK, I lied. I did take a couple of color digital pictures. With my
cellphone. For reference so I have time/date/place information.
Actually, those shots don't look too shabby.

AG