Re: [OM] The Convenience of Digital Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] The Convenience of Digital Cameras
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:19:06 -0400
This is an oldie in digtal years (2004) but I wouldn't toss it into the
trash can.  First thing to do is read the DPReview article found here:
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdx7590/3>  As always DPReview
gives an exhaustive coverage of the menus with images and comments which
gives you much more info than the user's manual.  Speaking of which you
can get a PDF here:
<http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18597/kw/Easyshare%20Z7590%20manual/selected/true>
The page is actually an HTML version of the manual but there is a link
near the top to get the manual as a PDF.  I always get a PDF if I can to
be able to search manuals which often have very poor indexes.

I did search the PDF for ISO references which told me that ISO was
changeable in some way related to the menu button and/or jog wheel but
it wasn't clear how.  Only after reading DPReview's coverage did I
understand that after selecting a mode (PASMC, scene, etc) the jog dial
walks you through the range of settings particular to that mode.  The
joystick (center of mode dial) moves through the settings which are
selected by pressing the joystick button down for "OK".  It wasn't
perfectly clear from the manual but it appears the ISO is pre-set in
certain scene modes or flash usage.  But that should be apparent if
you've got the camera working in front of you.  The lack of good
coverage in the manual is partially offset by DPReview's comments that
using the camera is somewhat self-explanatory if you've got it in-hand
and walk through the modes and settings on the screen.

As to the software and cable I don't think it's actually necessary to
have them as their use appears to be only for downloading images to the
computer, probably some minimal postprocessing and image sharing and
printing options.  It also appears to provide a custom SD card
formatting option that puts up to 32 subject folders on the card which
can be used at the time an image is taken to pre-sort by subject.  But
this is not actually necessary since the *setup* menu has a card format
option.
If you want the software I'd suggest downloading the current version of
EasyShare software which dates from 2011-03-07.  Caution: 45MB download.
<http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36670/selected/true>
For loading from SD cards without connecting to the camera just get a
USB/SD card adapter such as this one
<http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Flash-Memory-Reader-TS-RDP5K/dp/B001NS828K/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1338758170&sr=1-5>

My main concern would be the battery.  If the battery is a 2004 original
it must be toast by now.  But batteries and chargers are readily
available
<http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kodak+dx7590+battery&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=5681472791&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=217310265858137531&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_1ah3queg8q_b>

Note that this camera takes an SD card.  You may or may not know that SD
cards are limited to 2GB.  It requires SDHC cards to go larger than 2GB
but SDHC cards didn't exist at the time this camera was developed.  So
SD is all you need.  I think (but don't know) that an SDHC card will
work but will be limited to using 2GB of whatever size the SDHC card is.

Chuck Norcutt