Re: [OM] Nikon 1 V1, was: Two-wheeling "kit"

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon 1 V1, was: Two-wheeling "kit"
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:52:56 +0200
Hmm..

2012/5/31 Moose

> Note on the first page that the V1 is actually larger than the larger
> sensor Sony NEX-C3 (APS-C) and Oly E-PM1 (4/3).

That is until you add an EVF, which is included in the V1.

I just skimmed the V1 review, and I have to say I think it would drive me
> crazy, as would the little Oly. The Sony
> actually looks like the most usable of the tiny ILCs, and with the best
> IQ, to boot.
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynexc3/>

Please explain how the availability of different lenses is included in your
definition of 'usable'. I think it should be an important part of it, and
that the Oly becomes *much* more usable then.

I would also include in 'usable' that the Sony has no IBIS. It is also not
available in their DSLR lenses, as the DSLR camera's have IBIS. So you only
have IS in the quite limited dedicated E-mount selection (neither the 16mm
pancake or the 30mm macro have IBIS), and never when you use a DSLR lens
with the adapter. And if you add the size of the lenses in 'usable', Oly
made the better choice with their 4 by 3 sensor, allowing significant
smaller lenses (or better edge quality, depending on what choices are made
in lens design).

If looking at ILCs with zoom, and considering the lens sizes, I can't see
> any point in looking for the tiniest ones.
> Rather, I would look for good on camera controls that allow one to control
> it without getting into menus.
>
> Me? I still think a smallish, APS DSLR and a good compact is the best
> combo.

Depends. If you talk about money you have a point, as the top mirrorless
camera's and lenses are quite expensive. But my thinking is along these
lines:

The top-of-the-line APS DSLR's are not that much smaller compared to the
full-frame ones. So if you're going for top quality, go full-frame (and no,
it is not really fair to compare a 5D classic with a 60D). The smaller APS
DSLR's are getting smaller, but still have the big lenses and a relative
limited selection of dedicated lenses (the serious glass is almost all for
FF, with the size, weight and price penalty).

The better compacts are not really much smaller then a mirrorless camera
with a small fixed lens. Actually, for my own use I put a 20mm (40mm eq)
pancake on my e-p2 if I want to travel compact, maybe add a 14mm pancake in
a pocket, and/or the 45mm. Almost too light to notice. For more serious
work I use bigger lenses (4/3, OM).

You specifically mention ILCs with zoom, and those zooms are getting
smaller all the time. The 14-42mm X Panasonic is just as big as the 20mm
pancake. Actually I predict that the major development money of the lens
builders will be in making more compact lenses with a limited range, and
that the trend in increasing zoom factors has come to an end. For APS to
compete with mirrorless, for mirrorless to compete with the other
mirrorless brands.

Best, Frank.