Re: [OM] IMG: Red-Headed Woodpecker

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Red-Headed Woodpecker
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:28:39 -0700
On 5/31/2012 1:44 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Thanks, Moose.  The E-510 has 10MP, so moving up to an E-3 would not change
> that.

Pixels are not all created equal. When I got a 5D, I did a direct comparison to
my old 300D. Although the central
portion of the 5D sensor equal in physical size to the 300D was 5MP vs. 6MP for
the 300D, the 5D was clearer at 100% and
resolved more detail.

I wouldn't be thinking of an E-3, but of an E30 or E-620. Both cameras have a
slightly larger, newer sensor and newer
processor than the E-3. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/>

At the pixel level, which is what you are using for your bird shots, they
aren't quite as good as their contemporary APS
sensor cameras, but much better than the E-510. And for in-body IS with the
ability to mount all your old lenses, they
are about the only DSLR game in town. Many ILCs without mirrors will do that.

> I may have to find a way  to add a shoulder stock to my monopod, to get
> radial stability.

Or hold out for an OM-D, which has IS for radial movement, too.

Pixelated Moose