[OM] IMG: More Wasp Info

Subject: [OM] IMG: More Wasp Info
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 13:50:14 -0500
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
After searching for two days, I located some information that sheds light on
the wasp that I photographed on the Butterfly Bush.  It is some variant of the
Potter Wasp (Eumenes Coarctatus).  This reminded me that, when I took my wife's
old Volvo to the shop, the shop foreman and I puzzled over the strange clay
creations on the top of the radiator.  It turns out that they were nests built
by a potter wasp.

The Potter Wasp, in color:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Wasp+09.jpg.html

A nest under construction, entry still open:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Potter+Wasp+Nest+35.jpg.html

Two nests where the young have departed.  Screw included for scale:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Potter+Wasp+Nest+34.jpg.html

Most of the photos I have found of the Potter Wasp show more colorful markings.
 This one must feel slighted. ;~)

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA