[OM] Two-wheeling "kit"

Subject: [OM] Two-wheeling "kit"
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 08:59:50 -0400
So, I've been spending time on the motorcycle, enjoying the fresh air and fresh
perspectives, etc.

Have also been thinking about how to arm myself when out cruising. Yesterday, I
took my wife's Nikon P&S, but didn't use it. I've also used the iPhone a couple
of times. Did okay for the purpose at hand, but not exactly what I'm looking
for.

I know Nathan likes his X-100 when cycling, and I've given it some thought, but
if I recall correctly, it's fixed lens and the fix is about a 35mm
equivalent--a good "street" lens but falls a little short for those nice
portraits of people you meet while two-wheeling.

There have been countless threads on the smaller, more compact kits, and I
confess to not having paid much attention to them because I was set with my
Nykon stuff. But fact is, even with a striped down kit, wearing a backpack full
of great while motorcycling around doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm.

The X-Pro 100 looked good, but all reports are that it's so finicky at this
point I'd never manage to actually get a shot off. <g>

Based on what I've seen riding, my guess as to what I'd be doing is a lot of
modified "street" work, much of it converted to black and white, and if I can
work up the guts and get a couple of those printed index-card sized pads of
model releases, some informal portraiture of interesting folks met along the
way. IQ would be a factor, of course, with the ability to uprez to a manageable
(read hangable) size.

Scary as it seems to someone who's been jerked around by Olympus once too
often, that OM-D kinds sounds about right. Or close to the mark, anyway.

So, suggestions welcome.

And thanks in advance.

--Bob