Re: [OM] IMG: One More Bee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: One More Bee
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 02:04:32 -0500
Hi Moose,

I agree that the wing motion of the bumblebee is indeed complex.  I received
my degree in Aeronautical Engineering more than sixty years ago.  I suspect
that the bee wing requires a combination of fore and aft movement along with
angle of attack changes on each sweep, combined with some flapping motion.
The circular motion seen in my photo shows the wing pivoting about its
attachment point, but 1/4000 of a second was not fast enough to see any
other details.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA