Re: [OM] Wabash and Erie Canal near Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Wabash and Erie Canal near Fort Wayne
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 09:50:45 +0200
On 09 May 2012, at 8:59 AM, Chris Crawford wrote:

> Thanks Joel. That is exactly what I was trying to show here. Indiana
> is
> not a place of dramatic landscapes, it is a place of understated
> subtlety.
> Many are not capable of seeing the beauty here. I'm not saying that to
> slam Dawid. He's in South Africa, which is a different landscape
> than we
> have here in the midwestern USA, so he (understandably) doesn't know
> what
> we are seeing here.

Hi Chris,

Most parts of South Africa (the central interiour) is exactly as flat
and boring
as the U.S. midwest :-) The Free State and the Great Karoo are utterly
featureless,
dotted with small, dead towns hundreds of kilometers apart.

I didn't in any way want to negatively criticise your image - It's
just an image that
is so subtle and understated, it had better not be hung close to any
other
(which will surely overwhelm it). This doesn't make it bad, it just
doesn't
"stand out" for me - it needs to be carefully studied in isolation.

But seen totally on it's own, I can see that it's a very accurate
depiction of that
part of the world.

regards,
Dawid