Re: [OM] Wabash and Erie Canal near Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Wabash and Erie Canal near Fort Wayne
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 11:34:38 -0500
Nice.  You've touched on one of my favorite subjects - abandoned canals.  I
find them fascinating - and it led me to do more research on the W&E.
Didn't know it was almost 500 miles....

I'm really studying the Illinois and Michigan right now.  There are parts
that are gone, parts that are no more than a weed-overgrown drainage
ditch.  It's hard to visualize that it used to be a 60-foot wide, 6-foot
deep superhighway around the turn of the century.  The I&M was, actually,
what allowed Chicago to develop from a little trading post into a major
center of commerce.  And today, most people have never heard of it.

It amazes me that men, mostly Irish immigrants, could dig something like
that all with hand tools.  It was hard, brutal work.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?prodId=1007&category=4
>
> I made this photograph yesterday evening, after I photographed the Turtle
> Rock.
>
> --
> Chris Crawford
> Fine Art Photography
> Fort Wayne, Indiana
> 260-437-8990

> http://blog.chriscrawfordphoto.com  My latest work!

> Become a fan on Facebook
>

> --

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard