Re: [OM] batteries for E3 and E5

Subject: Re: [OM] batteries for E3 and E5
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:58:14 -0400
Answers below:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hudson [mailto:OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 7:00 AM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion
Subject: [OM] batteries for E3 and E5

Four of questions:

1. Are the batteries for the E3 and E5 completely inter-changeable ?

They are different total capacities (mAh) but the same voltage. I don't have
my E-3 anymore to confirm if the BLM-5 works but BLM-1's are all I feed my
E-5. The BLM-5 that came with my E-5 is sitting on the shelf waiting for the
BLM-1's to die.

2. Can the E3 and E5 batteries be mixed and matched in either camera ?

Subject to BLM-5 working in an E-3 I don't see why not, excepting that I
wouldn't mix them in a two battery grip situation. The reason being that the
difference in the discharge rate will take the BLM-1's too far down. This
would be the same as mixing zinc carbon batteries and alkaline.

3. Can the batteries for the E3 be charged in the charger that comes with
the E5 ?

No, this combination does not work. The fourth contact on the charger
prevents this.

4. Can the batteries for the E5 be charged in the charger that comes with
the E3 ?

I have read that this does work but haven't confirmed it. In what I have
read there has been a suggestion that the BLM-5 may not fully charge on the
BLC-1 and 2. In my setup I use a dual bay charger from Hanel which doesn't
work due to it's own design quirk (a different fourth contact).

jh

HTH, Dan S