Re: [OM] Yesterday's Desert Hike

Subject: Re: [OM] Yesterday's Desert Hike
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 21:58:54 -0700
On 5/1/2012 4:11 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> ... I found that for that Sahuaro flower photo

Do you know where that spelling/usage comes from?

It sounds almost like my father was there at some crucial stage. He went to his
death apparently convinced that the
letter 'g' in Spanish is always soft. He could listen to a Mariachi band sing
'Guadalajara' with a hard 'G' and go right
on calling two of his favorite cities what sounded like 'Wadalahara' and
'Juanahuato'.

My late wife, born in Mexico City, a fluent speaker, with a Masters in Spanish
Literature, was unable to convince him
otherwise.It's Saguaro, with a hard 'g' in Mexico, where I have seen many
thousands of them.

South Of The Border Moose