Re: [OM] Fw: IMGs: Showy Desert Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: IMGs: Showy Desert Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 06:41:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> I like the poison one. <g>

     It's surprising how many poisonous plants we have out here.  Many years
ago a couple of backpackers made themselves an evening salad with the nearby
flora.  They were found dead a few days later.  One of the ingredients in the
salad was Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum).  They were probably dead within
minutes with sharp, convulsive pain right to the end.

     Another interesting plant is Sacred Datura (Datura wrightii), which is
stuffed with all sorts of alkaloids.  It is recorded in "Over the Edge: Death
in the Grand Canyon" of a rafting trip member smoking one of the flowers to get
a high.  He then attempted to walk across the river.  His body was found days
later.

     I have three poisonous plants in my garden.  One is Texas Mountain Laurel,
aka Mescal Bean Tree (Sophora secundiflora).  The flowers smell like grape
Kool-Aid.

Chris