Re: [OM] Annual Event - Redux 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Annual Event - Redux 1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:23:14 -0500
> Congratulations.  I don't think I would have the confidence to try such
> a large event and largely alone.

Thanks. I've been doing this for about a dozen years now. Kinda got it
down to the point where it's actually too comfortable. This year's
configuration was a nice shake-up to the setup.

The last two years, things have changed a lot. I keep expecting them
to do just do it internally. Last year, they even specified a really
light coverage. I backed off a ton and gave them lighter coverage.
This year, I didn't get that limitation, but I'm not doing nearly as
much as I did before where I had remote control cameras and an
assistant.

The rule of thumb is that you have full roamability during the opening
song. I usually get some reverse "shot from the stage" shots during
the first chorus. By the time the song ends, you need to start being
invisible. Same when the keynote speaker starts speaking. You've got
two minutes to get your shots from down front and then you disappear
to the edges and back. This place seats 1500 people and has a large
balcony, so even though there are plenty of vantage points, you've got
to plan your moves because it's easy to be very far out of position
when you have to get a close picture of somebody being recognized, but
you are upstairs and a hundred feet away.

It's not that you totally "disappear" but you try to keep your
presence "localized".

In a way, it is like shooting a wedding, but these high-brow religous
ceremonies do tend to have their own unique demands. While the band is
practicing and warming up prior to the service, that's when I get the
majority of my on-stage shots. Those pictures are usually supplied to
multiple organizations.

The tricky part is knowing the remodelling from one year to the next.
I got caught this time by not checking ahead of time a certain door
that gained me access to a great hidden vantage point on the stage. I
went to use it and found the door no longer there. Oops. Another
factor is dressing to blend. They painted the stage walls entirely
black a few weeks ago. I was dressed to blend into the old decor. Oh
well.

Next year will be interesting. I'll be getting earrings in a few
weeks. Combined with my long hair, that ought to get some fascinating
should refrain from wearing large hoops or chandeliers.

AG