Re: [OM] (OM) OT - sort of - apparent discernable resolution, on screen

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT - sort of - apparent discernable resolution, on screen
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:37:35 +1200
The irascible keyboard of Moose sent me

> Again, I have to disagree. You resist using better exposure techniques,
> rely on old, slow computers and old, cheap and/or obscure apps for image
> processing, etc. Clearly, your friend spends the time, effort and money to
> get the best tools and learn how to use them to best advantage.
>
> I believe that the same shot, taken with E-3 and 14-54, exposed properly
> and processed with the same skill and care spent on the Phase One shot,
> would look just as good at the 750x582 image size.
>
> Stubborn As A Moose

Moose, you and I live in quite different financial circumstances. The kinds of
computer you have in mind and the associated software are but a distant
pipe-dream for me, given the many compromises I have to make these
days.

I do what I can with what I have. While I have saved as Notepad messages
etc  many of your examples/homilies, there isn't much chance of me putting
them into practice.

Andris has a policy of leading the pack from the front. Much of his funding
comes from being the official photographer for Air New Zealand, for many
years, and he also has about 6 books which are ALWAYS on bookseller
shelves; they are a constant source of income from people wanting to send
gifts about NZ, and tourists.
He works hard to be MUCH better than anyone else in his chosen field.
The camera set-up he sold to fund in part his Phase One gear, was a one-
off custom-made camera made in Melbourne, Australia.
He bought five Schneider and Rodenstock Apo lenses and had Davies
Camera Service  build a 6 x 9 camera; the best film camera he ever owned.
It was built to tighter tolerances than any mass-produced camera and the
results reflect this. Essentially, Andris had Davies Camera Service make
him an Alpa TC before Alpa invented the TC. The body closely resembles
that of the TC.  He plays to win.

The 720 pixel facebook standard size is not a suitable size to judge an
image of any value, but I think that that one shot of his, and the first one he
produced from the Phase One (which I think I also drew to the attention of
us all without copying it),  show to my eyes distinctly finer detail than any
other shot I have seen at the same size.

Brian Swale.