Re: [OM] IMG: Two Scents of the South

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Two Scents of the South
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:08:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> Thanks for the kind words, Chris.  The clouds were overcast
> most of the day, and the bloom was in a sheltered area.
> Given the light, there were really no shadows.

     Any form of shade is welcome when dealing with high contrasts of colour
such as that Magnolia.  We have a few large, bihtly coloured desert flowers
here, one of which is Purple Stem Prickle Poppy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/6956457670/in/photostream

     These flowers can be as much as six inches across, and at that size easily
earn the nickname of Cowboy Fried Eggs.  In this photo, the sun was at a nice
angle that allowed the texture of the flower to be seen without having to
resort to a reflector/diffusor.  Another large white flower, Stemless Evening
Primrose (Oenothera caespitosa) is equally bright and troublesome to
photograph.  Both of these flowers are so white that they could easily be
contenders for the official flower of the KKK.

Chris